Kolkata ragging horror: Principal resigns as kin go on rampage after girl's death
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Succumbing to mounting pressure, the principal of Christ Church girls' school on Thursday resigned in the wake of violent agitation by angry guardians who ransacked the institution a day after a class V student died after being kept confined inside a toilet allegedly by senior students.
The girl died after being allegedly locked inside a toilet by her seniors last week in an ugly instance of ragging.
"The principal of Christ Church Girls school at Dum Dum, Helen sarkar, has tendered her resignation letter on a school pad duly stamped and handed that one over to me," a senior police officer of Barrackpore police commissionerate, who was present in the school premises, told agitating guardians.
Mamata consoles girl's mother
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee talked to the student's mother Rekha Das and consoled her, assuring that she would look into the incident.
The principal's resignation followed after day-long violence inside the school premises with the guardians, joined by some locals, going on a rampage in protest against the death of Oindrila Das (11) on Wednesday.
The agitators, who laid a siege to the main gate of the school, demanded that the principal be immediately arrested and a probe conducted into the incident.
"We demand immediate arrest of the principal and punishment of those responsible for Oindrila's death.
A combat police force was posted outside the school as the guardians rampaged through the institution since morning.
The principal, who along with six other teachers, was confined within the school because of the agitation, earlier apologised to the angry guardians and said that an inquiry would be held into the student's death.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™