Kolkata teen was gangraped 8 times in 2 hours: Chargesheet
- Chennai floods: Death toll crosses 260, Army rescues 5000 people
- Live: Rescue, relief in full swing as Chennai battles floods
- Delhi Assembly passes bill to effect 400% hike in MLA salary
- India playing major role in destroying climate: Maneka Gandhi
- 3 militants killed as Army foils major infiltration bid in JK
The 16-year-old girl, whose rape and subsequent death triggered protests in West Bengal last week, was raped eight times in two hours by six youths on the night of October 25 before she fell unconscious, according to the chargesheet submitted to a Barasat court by investigators. The assault in Madhyamgram, North 24 Parganas, was the first time the girl was gangraped.
After the assault, the girl was taken to the house of a local but as she was unconscious the assailants dumped her in an open field in a nearby mango orchard, the chargesheet, submitted in court on December 17, said. The girl was found by locals who took her home only the next morning.
According to the girl's family, she was allegedly abducted and gangraped a second time on October 26 when the family was returning from the Madhyamgram police station after lodging a police complaint. The family said the girl was snatched from them near Patuli Humaipur Masjid by the assailants, who abused and threatened them for lodging the police complaint. They took away the girl and gangraped her again. Police are yet to submit the chargesheet in the second case.
Top police sources said they have not yet submitted the second chargesheet as they were not certain if the girl was gangraped the second time. "We are investigating into the matter," said a senior police official, who did not want to be named.
The case has been transferred to the sessions court from the CJM court. The first hearing in the case has been scheduled on January 6, said public prosecutor Bikash Ranjan Dey.
The victim's family told The Sunday Express that police were trying to downplay the second incident. The original FIR in the second case does not mention rape charges.
- BJP setback in local polls may point to a growth model that does not create jobs
- The International Film Festival of India appears to be losing its raison d’être
- The myth of Intolerant India
- India’s secularism is indigenous, powerful than similar commitments by older democracies
- The real outrage
- Delhi Jan Lokpal bill: Kejriwal has turned ombudsman into a joke