Konkan Fruit Festival to be held between May 10-12
- AAP-BJP clashes: FIR against Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi for rioting
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
- Congress bends, âopen to TRS allianceâ
- Mamata Banerjee releases candidates list for LS polls, lists out celebs and statistics
The Konkan Fruit Fest, an event promoting the lesser known fruits of Konkan region would be held in South Goa this year between May 10-12.
The festival will be held in Margao town this year, wherein hundreds of exotic fruit varieties would be on sale and display, Minguel Braganza, secretary of the Botanical Society of Goa, told PTI today.
He said that the festival which started in 2003 in Panaji is aimed at promoting the lesser known fruits of the Konkan region, with a view to improve the long-term food security and preserve the unique fruit biodiversity of the region.
"Without an interest in these fruits, we are likely to lose favourites including sweet mangosteen, red oil palm, citron, kokum and jambul fruit," Braganza said.
The festival provides an opportunity to the common people and youths in Goa to sample popular tropical fruits, local wines, foods and several increasingly rare seasonal fruit varieties, he said.
In the festival the regional farmers can sell these fruits and they are encouraged to maintain their trees for the enjoyment of the future generations, he said.
Braganza said that the festival also features competition for fruits, fruit products, on the spot competition in fruit eating and fruit carving among other things.
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students
- Ecclestone rules out Indian GP in 2015
- Captain Vidic abandons sinking ship at Manchester United, to sign for Inter Milan