Kumbh: 90 lakh take dip on Maghi Purnima
"The purohits also get the dakshina after the kalpvasis get their heads tonsured and beard shaved, something they abstain from for one month. They then pack their belongings and leave," said Ajay Pandey, head of the Prayagwal Sabha, the body of teerth purohits.
However, as the day progressed and devotees began filling into the Sangam area in larger numbers, the police had to stop the kalpvasis from leaving. By around 10 am, the police began making announcements requesting the kalpvasis not to leave the Mela area in their private vehicles, or tractors, due to the huge crowd pressure.
Kalpvasis apart, a few saints, who had stayed back after Basant Panchami, will also now leave the Mela area. "I will be leaving tomorrow. The stampede (in which 38 died on Mauni Amavasya at Allahabad railway station) was a painful incident, which should not have happened. We have been praying so that the souls of the victims rest in peace. Otherwise, the arrangements were fine and the administration ran the Mela as smoothly as possible," said Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokshjanand Dev Teerth.
Being virtually the last snan, the occasion also saw quite a few people convincing themselves not to miss the chance to be part of the biggest religious festival, despite problems. Septuagenarian Ram Shankar Tiwari of Allahabad was beaming at having reached Sangam ghat and taken bath without much hassle. "I am not permitted to walk long distances due to acute arthritis. But when so many members of my family were going, I gave myself a chance. After all, the Mela would almost get over today; there is no guarantee that I would be around for the next one," he said.
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death