LA homeless woman set on fire while asleep
- Srinagar: Militants shoot dead 3 policemen in two separate attacks
- Tamil Nadu: Jaya sworn in as Chief Minister for consecutive second term
- India's RLV-TD launch: All you need to know about the reusable space shuttle
- Trade, transit links on table, but Pakistan will be back of mind for both India, Iran
- Kerala: Jawan found dead with gunshot wounds at naval base in Kochi
For more than 10 years, the homeless woman slept on the same plastic bus stop bench at a busy intersection in the San Fernando Valley.
The 67-year-old was nestled in her regular spot early Thursday when the unthinkable happened: A man came out of a nearby drug store, doused her with a flammable liquid and set her ablaze. She was taken to a hospital, where she was listed in critical condition.
Witness Erickson Ipina called emergency services, and police arrested Dennis Petillo, 24, a short time later. He was booked for investigation of attempted murder and was held on $500,000 bail.
"He just poured it all over the old lady,'' Ipina told reporters at the scene. "Then he threw the match on her and started running.''
"There was no incident or dispute or clear motivation for this horrific attack. He did not know his victim,'' said LAPD Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese to The Los Angeles Times. "He is not of sound mind.''
- Supreme Court has rightly upheld criminal defamation law
- India’s democratic success is due to the EC, and the triumph of trust over cynicism
- President’s Rule must be abolished. Uttarakhand developments show why
- What President Pranab Mukherjee must say to Beijing
- Tony Cozier loved Caribbean cricket, brought the game alive for millions
- Chabahar test: An opportunity to India?