La Liga: Lionel Messi strikes again as Barcelona, Atletico win
- LIVE: Ashutosh taken away for questioning; AAP gets EC notice over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
Lionel Messi scored in his 12th consecutive La Liga game to help leaders Barcelona earn a 1-1 draw at Valencia, allowing second-placed Atletico Madrid to close to within nine points after a 1-0 win over Real Betis on Sunday.
World Player of the Year Messi grabbed his 34th league goal from the penalty spot just before halftime at the Mestalla after Ever Banega had given the livelier hosts a 33rd-minute lead.
Atletico substitute Diego Costa nodded in from a 61st-minute corner to maintain their perfect home record, lifting them seven points clear of city rivals Real Madrid in third.
Barca have 59 points from 22 games, Atletico 50, and the champions have 43 after losing 1-0 at lowly Granada on Saturday when Cristiano Ronaldo headed the game's only goal into his own net.
Valencia's intense pressure seemed to unsettle Barca, who looked sluggish after Wednesday's King's Cup semi-final first leg at the Bernabeu, which they drew 1-1.
Their aggression paid dividends when Gerard Pique's weak headed clearance fell to Banega in the area and the Argentine midfielder fired a low shot under Valdes.
"It's possible we were suffering a bit from the Madrid game, but I would point out the work of our rival," Barca assistant coach Jordi Roura told reporters.
"In five years, we have only won once here. A draw is a fair result."
Barca levelled before the break when Joao Pereira needlessly fouled Pedro in the area and Messi arrowed a penalty high into the top corner.
Cesc Fabregas went close and Andres Guardado forced a flying save from Valdes but Barca were in the ascendancy.
Substitute David Villa fired just wide of the post, but Pique was caught in possession in the last minute and Ali Cissokho crossed, forcing Valdes into a superb double-save to keep the scores level.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students