LA teacher arrested for ‘sexual abuse’ of 20 children
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
An elementary schoolteacher who worked for nearly four decades in the Los Angeles Unified School District was arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing 20 students and one adult, police said.
After a 10-month investigation, eight felony counts of continual sexual abuse and seven counts of lewd acts upon a child have been filed against Robert Pimentel of Newport Beach for abuse that took place at George De La Torre Jr Elementary in Wilmington, Officer Christopher No told Associated Press.
Besides the 15 felonies, misdemeanour charges are expected for the remaining incidents, No said.
His bail has been set at $12 million; an arraignment date hasn't been set. Pimentel, 57, left his fourth-grade teaching position last March when allegations arose from several girls who told their parents he inappropriately touched them during school and police opened an investigation.
Court records obtained by the Times show the allegations covered a period between September 2011 to March 2012.
LAPD Capt Fabian Lizzaraga told the newspaper that Pimentel was suspected of inappropriately touching the children over and under their clothing.
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships