LA teacher arrested for ‘sexual abuse’ of 20 children
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Internal battle in BJP out in open: M M Joshi seeks clarity on Varanasi seat
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
An elementary schoolteacher who worked for nearly four decades in the Los Angeles Unified School District was arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing 20 students and one adult, police said.
After a 10-month investigation, eight felony counts of continual sexual abuse and seven counts of lewd acts upon a child have been filed against Robert Pimentel of Newport Beach for abuse that took place at George De La Torre Jr Elementary in Wilmington, Officer Christopher No told Associated Press.
Besides the 15 felonies, misdemeanour charges are expected for the remaining incidents, No said.
His bail has been set at $12 million; an arraignment date hasn't been set. Pimentel, 57, left his fourth-grade teaching position last March when allegations arose from several girls who told their parents he inappropriately touched them during school and police opened an investigation.
Court records obtained by the Times show the allegations covered a period between September 2011 to March 2012.
LAPD Capt Fabian Lizzaraga told the newspaper that Pimentel was suspected of inappropriately touching the children over and under their clothing.