LA teacher suspected of sex abuse of 20 kids
- PM Modi flags off Mahamana Express from Varanasi, distributes aid to differently-abled persons
- Campus battlelines drawn, students reject decision to revoke suspension
- Speaking on personal life in India can land one in jail: Karan Johar
- Supreme Court orders probe into murder of BSP leader Raju Pal
- Delhi Police issues alert for missing car hired from Pathankot
An elementary school teacher who worked for nearly four decades in the Los Angeles Unified School District was arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing 20 students and one adult, police said.
After a 10-month investigation, eight felony counts of continual sexual abuse and seven counts of lewd acts upon a child have been filed against Robert Pimentel of Newport Beach for abuse that took place at George De La Torre Jr. Elementary in the Wilmington area, Officer Christopher No told The Associated Press.
Besides the 15 felonies, misdemeanor charges are expected for the remaining incidents, No said.
His bail has been set at $12 million, and an arraignment date hasn't been set.
Pimentel, 57, left his fourth-grade teaching position last March when allegations arose from several girls who told their parents he inappropriately touched them during school and police opened an investigation.
District officials immediately removed him from campus and parents and state credentialing authorities were informed, school district spokesman Daryl Strickland said. Parents and guardians will be told of the arrest by letter and phone, he said.
Before the official dismissal process with the Board of Education could begin, Pimentel, who had worked for the district since 1974, retired.
"Can you go back and fire someone who's already retired? No, you can't,'' LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy told the Los Angeles Times.
Deasy said the school's principal was also immediately removed because the superintendent was 'dissatisfied' with how the incident was handled.
Court records obtained by the Times show the allegations covered a period between Sept. 2011 to March 2012.
LAPD Capt. Fabian Lizzaraga told the newspaper Pimentel is suspected of inappropriately touching the children over and under their clothing.
The Police Department said the teacher's name was spelled 'Pimental' but the school district and public records give the spelling as 'Pimentel'.
- We need to stop denying India’s not-so-hidden apartheid
- Pranab and Sushma visits reflect today’s tighter India-Israel bond
- Iran nuclear deal demonstrate the necessity and benefits of multilateralism
- Diary item: Bengal’s Burdwan break
- What if law not dictate but allows old customs and traditions to do their work?
- Strictly regulated and independently audited jallikattu is the way to go