Ladkat murder: 14 yrs on, police get custody of Babloo
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Sagar (24), son of businessman Balasaheb Ladkat, was allegedly kidnapped on May 22 in 1998 and was reportedly murdered following a scuffle. Probe by various investigating agencies had revealed that it was a well planned conspiracy hatched by a gang.
Police had till now arrested eight persons out of 14 accused. The interrogation of arrested accused had revealed that Srivastava, who was then lodged in jail, was operating the gang and was in touch with the arrested accused before the kidnapping, police inspector Sunil Patil of the crime branch said.
"We had been asking for Srivastava's transfer since his name came up in the investigation. But there were many issues involved. He was lodged in the Bareilly jail and was recently convicted," PI Patil said.
Inspector Sher Singh of Bareilly police said, "We had received a communication about the transfer. We came here with him (Srivastava) along with a team of about 20 personnel."
Patil said, "He was to be produced before the court on Thursday, but the Uttar Pradesh police reached here on Wednesday. So Srivastava was produced before the Cantonment court and was remanded in police custody for a day. He will be produced again on Thursday." Patil was to interrogate Srivastava, who is reportedly accompanied by a team of five lawyers.
Sources said that in the past when the crime branch asked for Srivastava's custody, the defence lawyers argued that at the time of the conspiracy he was in jail. A senior Pune crime branch officer said, "We have many evidences to prove that Shrivastava was in touch with these accused from jail."
Another officer said, "Among those who are still absconding are criminal Anis Amjad alias Fajlu Rehman Abdul and Shrivastava's close aide and confidante Archana Balmukund Sharma alias Manisha Agarwal. Almost all those who were arrested are out on bail."
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment