Ladkat murder: 14 yrs on, police get custody of Babloo
- Congress fields local MLA Ajay Rai from Varanasi to take on Modi, Kejriwal
- Kejriwal slapped again, second attack in last four days
- Mamata Banerjee relents; agrees to EC directive on transfer of officers
- Bihar: BJP attacks Nitish over CRPF officer's death, calls for probe
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mamata Banerjee seeks removal of Vinod Zutshi from Election Commission
Sagar (24), son of businessman Balasaheb Ladkat, was allegedly kidnapped on May 22 in 1998 and was reportedly murdered following a scuffle. Probe by various investigating agencies had revealed that it was a well planned conspiracy hatched by a gang.
Police had till now arrested eight persons out of 14 accused. The interrogation of arrested accused had revealed that Srivastava, who was then lodged in jail, was operating the gang and was in touch with the arrested accused before the kidnapping, police inspector Sunil Patil of the crime branch said.
"We had been asking for Srivastava's transfer since his name came up in the investigation. But there were many issues involved. He was lodged in the Bareilly jail and was recently convicted," PI Patil said.
Inspector Sher Singh of Bareilly police said, "We had received a communication about the transfer. We came here with him (Srivastava) along with a team of about 20 personnel."
Patil said, "He was to be produced before the court on Thursday, but the Uttar Pradesh police reached here on Wednesday. So Srivastava was produced before the Cantonment court and was remanded in police custody for a day. He will be produced again on Thursday." Patil was to interrogate Srivastava, who is reportedly accompanied by a team of five lawyers.
Sources said that in the past when the crime branch asked for Srivastava's custody, the defence lawyers argued that at the time of the conspiracy he was in jail. A senior Pune crime branch officer said, "We have many evidences to prove that Shrivastava was in touch with these accused from jail."
Another officer said, "Among those who are still absconding are criminal Anis Amjad alias Fajlu Rehman Abdul and Shrivastava's close aide and confidante Archana Balmukund Sharma alias Manisha Agarwal. Almost all those who were arrested are out on bail."
Till now, the case has seen seven investigating officers. Crime officer Surendra Pote who probed the case in 1997 is no more now.
- 4-yr-old sexually assaulted by school bus attendant
- 65 lakh voters register in Pune district
- Candidates declare assets, Ayali has property worth Rs 16.86 cr
- Chaos at DC office as heavyweights file papers
- Culex vishnui mosquito is now breeding in city, finds PGI survey
- Over 6 lakh registered voters in city