Lal Thanhawla to be sworn in as Mizoram CM for fifth time on Saturday
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla was on Wednesday unanimously elected as the leader of the Congress Legislature Party. Following this decision, Lal Thanhawla will be anointed the Chief Minister of the state for the fifth time.
The swearing-in ceremony is slated to be held on Saturday. The Congress veteran, who has been president since the party's inception in the state, said his cabinet members and parliamentary secretaries would be made known on the same day.
Although the swearing-in was initially planned to for an earlier date, it became inconvenient because the final result for the Lawngtlai East seat will only be available on Thursday. An EVM malfunction on counting day has made a re-poll necessary in one station, scheduled for Wednesday. The Congress candidate was leading on last count.
When asked if former finance minister H Liansailova, who lost in the Assembly elections, would be the party's candidate during bypolls to either of the two seats Lal Thanhawla has won, he said, "I think he will be a good choice."
After H Liansailova's defeat was known on counting day, Lal Thanhawla had said, "My happiness [over the Congress win] cannot be complete."
The Chief Minister had won from Serchhip and Hrangturzo constituencies.
The Congress had won 33 seats in the Mizoram Assembly elections, counting of which was done on December 9.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit