Lalu Prasad Yadav favours death sentence for rapists
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
Joining the growing clamour to award death penalty to perpetrators of rape, RJD President Lalu Prasad Yadav on Monday said his party would advocate for capital punishment for rapists in the Delhi gangrape case in the next Parliament session.
"Minor punishment of seven years jail term will not be adequate for such an act ... Existing laws need to be amended to end the menace," Yadav said before setting out for his 'Parivartan yatra' against the alleged 'misrule' of the Nitish Kumar government.
Lalu said RJD would advocate for awarding death sentence to rapists when the issue of gangrape of the 23-year-old para-medic in a moving bus in New Delhi comes up for discussion in Parliament.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has four members in Lok Sabha, including Prasad and two in Rajya Sabha.
He said the public outrage over the Delhi gangrape was justified as the victim was brutally assaulted and is battling for life.
In view of growing incidents of rape in Bihar and Karnataka, Yadav said stringent anti-rape laws were needed to prevent such barbaric crimes.
- ‘Job target now hinges on manufacturing’
- Murder of Sahu siblings: Court says convict to be in jail for ‘the rest of his life’
- Inauguration drama: Amid BJP’s boos and barbs, mayor stars in second act
- Police’s grievance cell flooded with complaints from cops, 15 in past year
- NDA lodges FIR after cadet goes missing, he returns to tell cops he missed family
- Allow us to install gates at Narmada dam, you take credit: Modi to Centre