Lalu Prasad Yadav favours death sentence for rapists
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
Joining the growing clamour to award death penalty to perpetrators of rape, RJD President Lalu Prasad Yadav on Monday said his party would advocate for capital punishment for rapists in the Delhi gangrape case in the next Parliament session.
"Minor punishment of seven years jail term will not be adequate for such an act ... Existing laws need to be amended to end the menace," Yadav said before setting out for his 'Parivartan yatra' against the alleged 'misrule' of the Nitish Kumar government.
Lalu said RJD would advocate for awarding death sentence to rapists when the issue of gangrape of the 23-year-old para-medic in a moving bus in New Delhi comes up for discussion in Parliament.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has four members in Lok Sabha, including Prasad and two in Rajya Sabha.
He said the public outrage over the Delhi gangrape was justified as the victim was brutally assaulted and is battling for life.
In view of growing incidents of rape in Bihar and Karnataka, Yadav said stringent anti-rape laws were needed to prevent such barbaric crimes.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit