Land deals: Former Padra mamlatdar arrested, sent to 4-day police remand
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
Srivastav, who was posted as extra chitnis in the office of Vadodara district collector till Wednesday, was arrested by Vadodara rural police late on Thursday after being questioned for several hours.
She was produced before the Vadodara district and sessions court on Friday evening. Principal District and Sessions Judge K K Bhatt sent her to police remand till February 12.
"Srivastav granted NA (non-agricultural) permission for a plot of agricultural land in 2008 on the basis of an order of SDM (sub-divisional magistrate). However, the SDM's order does not have number of outward register of the office of the SDM or inward number of Padra mamlatdar office. This means the order was forged and that she had some personal interests in granting NA permission. So, we have invoked provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1988," Vadodara rural DSP Usha Rada said.
Police said the land of Jaspur village of Padra for which Srivastav granted NA permission had come within the limits of Vadodara Urban Development Authority (VUDA). So she was not authorised to grant permission as those powers are vested with the district collector.
The police have also invoked Section 7 (public servant taking gratification other than legal remuneration in respect of an official act) of the Prevention of Corruption Act. The Padra police have already booked her under IPC Section 120 (concealing design to commit offence punishable with imprisonment).
"She has admitted that she was in touch with city-based builder Sanjiv Bharambe (who is facing forgery charges) even after an FIR was lodged against him and police were looking for him," Rada said.
Though Bharambe is on the run for the last one week, he has filed for anticipatory bail in the district and sessions court.
A 2005-batch revenue officer, Srivastav was posted at Padra as mamlatdar from 2007 to 2009. After complaints of irregularities in land deals, a departmental inquiry was initiated against her and she was found guilty, as a result of which she was suspended. She was reinstated in June last year and was posted as extra chitnis.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2