Land misuse: Case of 18 institutes sent to govt
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
31 educational institutions had been issued notice for non-compliance with land allotment norms
Taking forward action against educational institutions for defying norms stipulated for getting government land at concessional rates, the district administration has forwarded its report on 18 of the 31 educational institutions they had issued notice for non-compliance with norms.
The state government had asked the district administration to check whether 63 institutions given government land for educational purposes in the district adhered to rules for getting land at concessional rate.
The government had asked the administration to initiate action against institutions found using the land for purposes other than the intended one.
"After a thorough inquiry of each institute we issued notice for violation of the Maharashtra Land Revenue (Disposal of Government Lands) Rules, 1971. Of the 31 institutes we issued notice to, we have forwarded 18 cases to the government,'' said a senior district official.
Earlier, a reply to an RTI query by The Indian Express revealed that five institutions had violated the rules and 27 were under verification for adherence. While documents about some were not available, the process of verification had not been completed in some cases and replies from educational institutes were awaited in some others.
The official said, "With the verification now completed, we have readied the final list. The process to ready a tally of government land in possession of these educational institutions if on."
The issue had surfaced in the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report that slammed educational institutions for changing land reservation of the plots acquired from the government, and renting out premises for purposes other than education.
Government lands are given free of occupancy price and revenue for setting up schools, colleges, hospitals, dispensaries and other public works out of which profit is not expected. The government also gives out land for playgrounds in schools and colleges, and also gymnasium for a period of 15 years on payment of a nominal lease rent of Re 1 per annum.
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?