Landage family stands by son, calls it ‘revenge murder’
- Government issues high alert, says Islamic State expanding area of terror
- Putin vows to hunt down those who bombed Russian plane in Egypt
- Mani Shankar Aiyar to Pakistan channel: Remove Modi for talks to resume
- Chittoor Mayor shot dead while trying to save husband
- Hyderabad nursery student dies after head gets stuck in school lift
Rahul Landage's mother said the family was proud of him.
The family of BJP corporator late Ankush Landage has come out in the open and described the murder of Gotya alias Sachin Dhavade as 'revenge murder'. History-sheeter Dhavade was murdered last Thursday by 10-15 youngsters in Dhavade vasti area of Bhosari. In the same area, Landage was murdered six years ago allegedly by Gotya Dhavade over old rivalry.
Asha Landage, widow of Landage, on Tuesday told this paper that she stood by the statements made by her son Rahul Landage to the police. "I have no objections to the statements purportedly made by Rahul to the police. If he has said that he was proud of the attack on Gotya Dhavade, I stand by him...Our family is indeed proud of him," said Asha, a former BJP corporator.
Rahul (20), along with six others, have been arrested in connection with Gotya's murder. The family alleged that Rahul was just 14 when Gotya killed his father. "Our family members, including Rahul, watched as my husband was killed before our eyes. Rahul was also attacked and he was hospitalised after he got injured. Yet he was arrested in the case," said Asha.
She said, "Which son will keep quiet if his father was done to death right in front of his eyes? The image of his father played on Rahul's mind. It was but natural that the son would hit back..."
What fuelled the anger in the family, Asha said, was the fact that "after his release on bail, Gotya was taunting the family". "He was shouting against our family on roads of Dhavade vasti. My husband has died, my son was facing trial, we were being constantly threatened..." she said.
Asha's reaction comes in the wake of the statements made by her son Rahul at a press conference organised by Deputy Commissioner of Police Shahaji Umap (Zone III) on Monday.
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia
- Surrogacy isn’t morally reprehensible, surrogates should be seen as workers
- One world, one battlefield
- With five states polling soon, the great Indian election will continue without recess
- Why Stockholm punches above its weight in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since