Lanka erasing Tamil culture: DMK chief to PM, Sonia
- Rahul Gandhi attacks Narendra Modi; highlights Congress work in Uttarakhand
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
Charging Sri Lankan of carrying out a programme to erase the language, culture and religion of Tamils in that country, DMK president M Karunanidhi urged the Prime Minister and Congress president Sonia Gandhi to take measures to stop eradication of a great culture and ancient language.
In an identical letter to the PM and Sonia, he accused the authorities in the Island Nation of renaming Tamil villages, redrawing of village, town and district boundaries, demolition of temples, non-allocation of funds to resettle and rehabilitate the internally-displaced Tamil families, and promoting Sinhala settlements on Tamil lands. For instance, he said through annexures detailing the Tamil villages renamed into Sinhala, Thirukovil in Ampara district has been given the name Sirikovila; Ilankaipattinam in Trincomalee district renamed as Lankapattuna; Kilinochchi village in Kilinochchi district renamed as Granika; and Mullaittivu in Mullaittivu district into Mooladoova.
He said 89 Tamil villages have been renamed, 367 Hindu temples demolished, and 13 major and 148 mini army camps have been set up in Mullaittivu district alone.