last night home
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
Justice Jain's name suggested for Haryana HRC
Chandigarh:A high-powered committee Saturday proposed the name of former Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice V K Jain for the post of chairman of the Haryana Human Rights Commission. Justice (Retd) H S Bhalla and retired bureaucrat J S Ahlawat's names were suggested as members of the Commission by the Committee, headed by Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda. Leader of the Opposition in Haryana Assembly Om Prakash Chautala recorded his dissent at the meeting, officials said. The INLD chief demanded re-convening of the committee's meeting to discuss a new set of names.
Green tax in Shimla comes to force
Shimla:A Shimla Municipal Corporation's proposal to impose green tax on vehicles not registered in Himachal Pradesh entering the hill station came into force on Saturday. The two-wheelers will now be charged Rs 100 per entry while cars and buses/trucks will be levied Rs 200 and Rs 500 respectively. The tax on utility vehicles is Rs 300, Mayor Sanjay Chauhan said. A Patiala-based private firm has been given the contract for charging the tax.
HP Polls: BJP clears 34 namesl
Shimla :In its preparation for the Himachal Assembly elections, scheduled in November, a team of senior BJP leaders discussed and cleared the names of 34 party candidates. After the approval from BJP's state election committee, the list will be forwarded to national election committee for the final consent. A meeting attended by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, party's national vice president Shanta Kumar and general secretary J P Nadda was held to discuss the candidates on 68 assembly seats of Himachal.
- Chavan sweetens deal for slum-dwellers
- ‘Buildings with approved layout plan should be exempted from SC order’
- WR puts brakes on new suburban services
- UP Doctors Protest: SP MLA booked as strike called off
- Raj Thackeray initiates talks with fringe parties
- Ministers, corporators fight over credit for public projects