Lata records for Satrangee Parachute
- Not RSSâs job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
After Page 3 and Jail, Shamir Tandon once again recorded with Lata Mangeshkar for the film Satrangee Parachute made under the banner of Wonder Works Films and produced and directed by Vineet Khetrapal. The song was written by Rajiv Barnwal.
Ending the year with a bang
Under the Music Mirror series, the National Centre for Performing Arts (NCPA) is presenting documentary films based on the lives of great musicians, their art, musical instruments and other related topics. This month's two documentaries, shown on December 13, relate to sarod, a popular string instrument from the 19th century.
Sarod, an English film made in 1986, details the evolution of this instrument from the earliest reference to it in 1830 in a series of drawings by James Prinsep, who portrayed it in his album Benares Illustrated. Around the 1850s, Namatullah Khan is said to have given the instrument the characteristics of the modern sarod. The Kumar Gogi film is presented by Amjad Ali Khan, the eminent sarod player.
The 1976 N.D.Keluskar film Baba is a documentary on Allauddin Khan (1882-1972), a prominent pioneer in the field of instrumental music. Allauddin Khan was a versatile and innovative musician, an ace sarod player, violinist, composer and teacher who taught greats like Ali Akbar Khan, Annapurna Devi, Pt. Ravi Shankar and Nikhil Banerjee.
The NCPA is closing 2010 with bang. The Festival Of Festive Music was held on December 11 and 12 to bring together the best of Christmas choral music with selected choirs from Mumbai, Pune, Bengaluru and Chennai.
One World Many Musics was also held on December 15 and 16. This annual festival is aimed towards presenting contemporary Indian musical expressions. The concert featured Indian Ocean on December 15 and Asia Electrik-Fusion Band (Sivamani on Drums, Louis Banks on Keyboard and Niladri Kumar on Zitar) on December 16.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress