Late Sathya Sai Baba's elephant dies in Puttaparthy ashram
- BJP nominee to Narendra Modi critics: You will soon be in Pakistan, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, minister says letâs call off trip
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Elections LIVE 2014: Modi says Rahul, Sonia, Vadra, Priyanka (RSVP) model looted India
An elephant kept at the main ashram of late spiritual leader Sri Sathya Sai Baba at Prashanthi Nilayam here died today following illness.
The female pachyderm, ailing for the last three weeks, died at 4:30 am despite the best efforts of expert specialist veterinarians from Kerala and Tamil Nadu who had been treating it, according to a release from Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust.
Nine-and-a-half-years-old Sathya Geetha was the favourite elephant of Sathya Sai Baba.
"She (elephant) was suffering from Intestinal Volvulus leading to Intestinal Torsion and Colon Impaction...Inspite of the best medical attention Sathya Geetha breathed her last in the early hours today," the release said.
Sathya Geetha was originally brought from Karnataka.
Sri Sathya Sai Baba had passed away at the age of 84 at Puttaparthi in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh on April 24, 2011.