Late Sathya Sai Baba's elephant dies in Puttaparthy ashram
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
An elephant kept at the main ashram of late spiritual leader Sri Sathya Sai Baba at Prashanthi Nilayam here died today following illness.
The female pachyderm, ailing for the last three weeks, died at 4:30 am despite the best efforts of expert specialist veterinarians from Kerala and Tamil Nadu who had been treating it, according to a release from Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust.
Nine-and-a-half-years-old Sathya Geetha was the favourite elephant of Sathya Sai Baba.
"She (elephant) was suffering from Intestinal Volvulus leading to Intestinal Torsion and Colon Impaction...Inspite of the best medical attention Sathya Geetha breathed her last in the early hours today," the release said.
Sathya Geetha was originally brought from Karnataka.
Sri Sathya Sai Baba had passed away at the age of 84 at Puttaparthi in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh on April 24, 2011.