Lawyer arrested for attacking cops on HC premises
- J&K: Five injured as Pak troops resort to heavy mortar shelling along LoC
- Two women killed, 10 injured in Puri Rath Yatra stampede
- Multi-storey building collapses in West Delhi, many feared trapped
- PM Narendra Modi calls maiden meet of NDA parties ahead of Monsoon session
- Drone shot down by Pakistan 'China made': Chinese state media
Police arrested Friday a Bombay High Court (HC) lawyer for allegedly assaulting a woman constable on court premises.
Rohini Dandekar was allegedly stopped at the high court gate for a security check. Enraged, she allegedly started beating constable Jyoti Gaikwad with a sandal.
The lawyer allegedly had an argument with Gaikwad, posted with the local arms division and enforcing security at HC, at around 2.30 pm and soon got physical.
"Everyone entering HC has to pass through a door frame metal detector (DFMD) and allow police to check bags they are carrying. Dandekar passed through DFMD and it beeped, indicating she was carrying metal objects. Gaikwad stopped her to ask what she was carrying, which angered Dandekar," said a police officer.
The lawyer allegedly also assaulted two other constables, posted some distance away, who rushed to help Gaikwad. She was finally overpowered and taken to Azad Maidan Police Station.
Addl CP (south region) Krishna Prakash said Dandekar was produced before a local court and sent to judicial custody.
Police said the lawyer had been booked for assault, intentional insult, criminal intimidation and deterring public servants.