Lawyer arrested for attacking cops on HC premises
- India goes to poll in 9 phases from April 7 to May 12; vote count on May 16
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- Attacker, victim: 2 faces of Gujarat riots come together for âHindu-Muslimâ unity
Police arrested Friday a Bombay High Court (HC) lawyer for allegedly assaulting a woman constable on court premises.
Rohini Dandekar was allegedly stopped at the high court gate for a security check. Enraged, she allegedly started beating constable Jyoti Gaikwad with a sandal.
The lawyer allegedly had an argument with Gaikwad, posted with the local arms division and enforcing security at HC, at around 2.30 pm and soon got physical.
"Everyone entering HC has to pass through a door frame metal detector (DFMD) and allow police to check bags they are carrying. Dandekar passed through DFMD and it beeped, indicating she was carrying metal objects. Gaikwad stopped her to ask what she was carrying, which angered Dandekar," said a police officer.
The lawyer allegedly also assaulted two other constables, posted some distance away, who rushed to help Gaikwad. She was finally overpowered and taken to Azad Maidan Police Station.
Addl CP (south region) Krishna Prakash said Dandekar was produced before a local court and sent to judicial custody.
Police said the lawyer had been booked for assault, intentional insult, criminal intimidation and deterring public servants.