Lawyer arrested for attacking cops on HC premises
- Vyapam scam: MP government agrees to get journalist's viscera tested at AIIMS in Delhi
- Opinion polls show 'No' votes ahead in Greek bailout referendum
- Pakistan violates ceasefire again in Kashmir, BSF gives befitting reply
- Will do everything possible to make India innovation hub: PM Narendra Modi
- Jabalpur Medical College Dean with links to Vyapam accused found dead
Police arrested Friday a Bombay High Court (HC) lawyer for allegedly assaulting a woman constable on court premises.
Rohini Dandekar was allegedly stopped at the high court gate for a security check. Enraged, she allegedly started beating constable Jyoti Gaikwad with a sandal.
The lawyer allegedly had an argument with Gaikwad, posted with the local arms division and enforcing security at HC, at around 2.30 pm and soon got physical.
"Everyone entering HC has to pass through a door frame metal detector (DFMD) and allow police to check bags they are carrying. Dandekar passed through DFMD and it beeped, indicating she was carrying metal objects. Gaikwad stopped her to ask what she was carrying, which angered Dandekar," said a police officer.
The lawyer allegedly also assaulted two other constables, posted some distance away, who rushed to help Gaikwad. She was finally overpowered and taken to Azad Maidan Police Station.
Addl CP (south region) Krishna Prakash said Dandekar was produced before a local court and sent to judicial custody.
Police said the lawyer had been booked for assault, intentional insult, criminal intimidation and deterring public servants.