Leaders, artistes remember sitar legend Pandit Ravi Shankar
- AAP battles Modi in Delhi, Congress missing
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- Riot victims fight fear to vote, get glimpse of home
- Narendra Modi mentioned wife in poll affidavit after SC order on full disclosure
Classical musician Pt Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, who was a disciple of Ravi Shankar, said, "This is the saddest day of my life. I was one of his closest... he was a fatherly figure to me and took care of me. He was one musician with whom every artiste wanted to collaborate. He was so energetic and enthusiastic about life."
In his message to the sitar icon's wife Sukanya and daughter Anoushka, who is also an accomplished sitarist, Santoor player Shivkumar Sharma said, "It's a loss for the whole world. He was a global musician. Musicians like him are rarely born. I am very fortunate that I know him from half a century."
"I met him in my home town Jammu, where he had come to perform. Those days I used to play tabla and I had accompanied him on it. From then onwards, a long association started. He was very fond of my santoor too. There are very few musician who could be called be as legends of Indian classical music," Sharma said.
Flautist Hari Prasad Chaurasia remembered the times he performed with Shankar at concerts.
"I started crying when I heard the news. I am still learning music under Annapurna Devi, who was Shankar's first wife. I was also associated with Allauddin Khan, who taught Shankar as well.
"He and I used to work in the film industry and outside. We did 55 concerts together. I remember each and every moment spent with him. I learnt so much from him also. His hard work and love for Indian culture have made him a legendary musician," Chaurasia said.
Indian ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao said on Twitter Ravi Shankar was the world's best known exponent of Indian music. "His last concert was particularly poignant. Anoushka and he played together in perfect unison."
- Srinath wins title but Deshpande steals show
- Ambala Lok Sabha constituency: 65.15 pc vote in Panchkula district
- ‘No smoking’ signages to dot polling booths
- City breaks electoral record as 74 pc turn out to vote
- BJP campaign in Varanasi starts April 12 — without Modi
- Cong spending Rs 50 cr on each constituency: Kumaraswamy