Leaders pay rich tributes to Indira Gandhi on death anniversary
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
The nation remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 28th death anniversary on Wednesday with President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paying rich tributes to the departed leader.
Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral tributes at Shakti Sthal, the memorial of Gandhi, here this morning.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna were also present on the occasion.
Union Ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde, Salman Khurshid, M Veerappa Moily, Kamal Nath, P K Bansal and Narayana Swamy and new inductees Deepa Dasmunsi and Chiranjeevi were also present.
Devotional songs were played at the venue. A speech by Indira Gandhi was also played on the occasion.
The former prime minister was assassinated by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had launched 'Operation Blue Star' to crush secessionist movement in Punjab.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer