Leaders pay rich tributes to Indira Gandhi on death anniversary
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
The nation remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 28th death anniversary on Wednesday with President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paying rich tributes to the departed leader.
Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral tributes at Shakti Sthal, the memorial of Gandhi, here this morning.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna were also present on the occasion.
Union Ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde, Salman Khurshid, M Veerappa Moily, Kamal Nath, P K Bansal and Narayana Swamy and new inductees Deepa Dasmunsi and Chiranjeevi were also present.
Devotional songs were played at the venue. A speech by Indira Gandhi was also played on the occasion.
The former prime minister was assassinated by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had launched 'Operation Blue Star' to crush secessionist movement in Punjab.