Leaders unite across party lines to pray for MP rape victim
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Moved by the plight of the five-year-old rape victim from Madhya Pradesh who is battling for her life in hospital here, leaders cutting across the party lines set aside their differences and offered prayers for her speedy recovery.
Condemning the rape of the minor and brutalisation of a five-year-old girl in New Delhi of late, the leaders from Congress, BJP, NCP and MNS took pledge to prevent such incidents, which they said were perpetrated by "mentally sick" people.
The leaders assembled near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi at Variety Square in busy Sitabuldi area last evening, and staged protests after offering prayers for the speedy recovery of the minor whose condition is deteriorating each passing day.
The minor, who hailed from Ghansaur town in Seoni district of Madhya Pradesh, was allegedly raped by one, Firoz Khan, on April 17.
Prominent leaders among those who participated in the event, organised by the city Congress president Jaiprakash Gupta, were AICC general secretary and city MP Vilas Muttemwar, former BJP MP Banwarilal Purohit, MLAs KrishnaKhopde and Vikas Kumbhare (both BJP), Ajay Patil (NCP), Hemantm Gadkari (MNS), Shekhar Sawarbandhe (Shiv Sena) and others.