Leander Paes, Radek Stepanek topple top seeds Bryan brothers at US Open
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
- 15th Lok Sabha: Most disrupted session in history
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- Arvind Kejriwal writes to Narendra Modi on gas pricing, targets Mukesh Ambani again
Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek stunned top seeded and hot favourite pair of Mike and Bob Bryan, who were chasing a rare Calendar Grand Slam, in a gripping contest to storm into the US Open men's doubles final.
The fourth seeded Indo-Czech pair denied the Bryans a piece of history with their 3-6 6-3 6-4 win as the American twins were trying to become first doubles team since 1951 to collect all four Grand Slam titles in the same year. Also Read: Listless Murray crashes out
Ken McGregor and Frank Sedgman had achieved the rare feat of winning Calendar Slam in 1951. PHOTOS: Paes-Stepanek stun Bryan brothers
The Bryans ran away with the first set but faced stiff challenge in the second, which Leander Paes and Stepanek dominated to take the match to full length.
Leander Paes stood out with his backhand slice and chips while Stepanek was solid with his blistering double-handed backhand.
Leander Paes and Stepanek will have a chance to win their first Slam title of the season, having finished semifinalists at the Wimbledon. Also Read:Sania Mirza-Jie Zheng go down in straight sets
The two teams began well but Leander Paes and Stepanek handed the advantage to the Bryans in the sixth game of the opening set. Facing a breakpoint, Stepanek double faulted which handed the Bryans a 4-2 lead, which soon became a comfortable 5-2 when the Americans held the next.
Leander Paes served to stay in the set and he held the game, which featured an entertaining 21-shot rally.
Bob served at love to quickly wrap up the first set in just 29 minutes.
The fourth seeds were put under pressure straight away as they were facing a break point in the first game of the second set but Paes saved that with a volley winner at the net.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- The regressive state | The Indian Express