Leather clusters: UP officials will visit Italy to study models
- Nitish trying to cheat Bihar, says Modi; CM replies PM disturbed with falling Sensex, GDP
- Manipur violence: Toll up to eight, three killed in police firing
- India script history, register first series win in Sri Lanka after 22 years
- Sheena, Mikhail my children, ready to undergo DNA test: Siddharth Das
- Market loses its nerve on weak GDP, Sensex tumbles 587 points
A week after Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav gave approval for the development of leather clusters in Hardoi and Kanpur districts, the government is planning to send a team of senior officials to Italy to study the models of leather cluster development there. The team would include officials from the Department of Infrastructure and Industrial Development, and the Chief Minister's office.
On September 27, Akhilesh had approved the concept of development of "mega-leather clusters" in Sandila area of Hardoi district and in Ramaipur area of Kanpur district on public-private partnership model.
About 300 acre land in Hardoi and about 625 acre in Kanpur has been identified. However, before deciding the model for development of these clusters and releasing a tender for selection of the developer, the government has decided to send a team of senior officials to visit leather clusters in Italy.
Sources inform that the team would go on a four-day visit to Italy in the last week of October.
The Uttar Pradesh State Industrial Development Corporation, which is also the nodal agency for development of these clusters, has been given the task of planning the visit.
"Italy is a leading country in the leather trade across the world and has developed its leather clusters in such a manner as to adapt to the changing times and are still a market leader.