Leopard kills 50-year-old woman in Goregaon
- Yakub Memon's mercy plea rejected, Sena calls it a message to terrorists
- Ready to discuss Sushma in Parliament, but not Raje, Chouhan: Arun Jaitley
- RS deadlock: Govt ready for debate, Oppn says get your ministers to resign first
- SC rejects Centre's review against scrapping quota for Jats
- Curfew in Jamshedpur after clashes over alleged eve teasing, at least 100 arrested
A fifty year old woman from the tribal village of Sai Bangoda near Royal Palms, Aarey Colony in Goregaon (East), was killed by a leopard on Friday night. Around 9.30 pm, Shwetha Paghe (50) went to the toilet near her village when she was attacked.
"The leopard dragged her into the forest by her neck. We formed a search party and all villagers accompanied us," said villager Navasa Shantaram Vadli. He added that they found the leopard sitting beside the woman's body early on Saturday.
"We had been complaining to the forest authorities for a long time because the animal would come near our village every night. This has been happening for at least three months now," said Vadli.
Sudhir Padwade, SNGP's assistant conservator of forest, said: "The woman died on the spot. The post-mortem report confirms that she died due to injuries suffered from the leopard attack." He said the family of the deceased will receive a compensation of Rs 2 lakh and a cage has been installed to catch the animal.
"They should have taken steps to catch the leopard earlier," said Vadli.