Leopard kills 50-year-old woman in Goregaon
- Media running 'false' news to tarnish Vasundhara Raje's image: CM office
- NIA says no 'issuance of inappropriate briefing by any officer'
- ‘Emergency one of India’s darkest periods,’ says PM Modi
- Lakhvi release: Pak says India politicising UNSC sanctions committee
- AAP unveils Rs.41,129 crore Delhi's 'Swaraj' budget
A fifty year old woman from the tribal village of Sai Bangoda near Royal Palms, Aarey Colony in Goregaon (East), was killed by a leopard on Friday night. Around 9.30 pm, Shwetha Paghe (50) went to the toilet near her village when she was attacked.
"The leopard dragged her into the forest by her neck. We formed a search party and all villagers accompanied us," said villager Navasa Shantaram Vadli. He added that they found the leopard sitting beside the woman's body early on Saturday.
"We had been complaining to the forest authorities for a long time because the animal would come near our village every night. This has been happening for at least three months now," said Vadli.
Sudhir Padwade, SNGP's assistant conservator of forest, said: "The woman died on the spot. The post-mortem report confirms that she died due to injuries suffered from the leopard attack." He said the family of the deceased will receive a compensation of Rs 2 lakh and a cage has been installed to catch the animal.
"They should have taken steps to catch the leopard earlier," said Vadli.
Senior Police Inspector Uttam More of Aarey police station said, "We have registered a case of accidental death."