Leopard strays into field, 1 hurt
A leopard strayed into a field near Talegaon Dabhade on Friday morning and attacked a farmer who sustained minor injuries after a crowd reportedly provoked the animal. Till late evening, the feline was present in the farm, forest officials said, adding that efforts to catch it were on.
According to forest officials, the leopard might have entered the field from adjacent Indrayani river. "Though the field has a wire fencing, the animal seems to have sneaked in through a small opening. Soon after the residents found it, they informed the forest officials and police. Some people from the crowd reportedly provoked the animal by throwing stones at it after which it attacked one Popat Shelar, 55, and hid in neighbouring shrubs. The man suffered minor injuries and was admitted to Pavana Hospital," said Rajendra Kadam, Deputy Conservator of Forest.
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment
- Now that Bihar’s women have voted, what about their economic rights?
- Sedition and political speech
- Indian channels have a lot to learn from the international coverage of 13/11
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia