LeT threatens to strike at Vaishno Devi
- PM Narendra Modi visits Pathankot air force base
- US wants Pakistan to act fast against Pathankot attack perpetrators
- Aamir Khan is a traitor, says BJP MP Manoj Tiwari at House panel meet
- Probing Pathankot attack: How wires got crossed in Delhi
- After terror attacks in Punjab, Army uniforms once sold openly now disappear
An email threatening to target the cave shrine of Vaishno Devi was purportedly sent by the banned terror outfit Lashker-e-Toiba to a hotelier in Katra to avenge the execution of 26/11 terror attack convict Ajmal Kasab, police said today.
The email was received by A H Bhat, a hotelier of Devi Grand hotel, on November 24 threatening to target the shrine to avenge the hanging of Kasab, a senior police officer said tonight.
"Investigation is going on...We cannot rule out either of the two angles to it, one hoax, the other threat from the terror outfit," the officer said.
"We cannot deliberate on the issue further since preliminary investigation into the matter is going on," he added.
Police have seized the computer and other equipments on which the email had been sent.
Efforts are on to decode the email, police said.
DIG, Udhampur-Reasi, Jagjeet Kumar and other senior officials of central agencies visited Katra and reviewed the security arrangements there.
Meanwhile, an alert has been sounded in the region with additional security being being put in place.
Police have intensified frisking people, checking of vehicles and keeping an eye on suspected movements.
- New Year Postcard-8: Where’s the Varanasi PM Modi promised?
- Pathankot: If Indian and Pak leaders pass this test, they can go much further
- Syed Babar Ali is a self-effacing empire-builder
- Tashkent Declaration brought an inconclusive war to an inconclusive end
- The man in the black robe
- Across the Aisle: Price of procrastination