Life term for 6 in Sagar Sahani abduction and murder case
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
The six accused who were convicted in the abduction and murder of 22-year-old Sagar Sahani in August 2005, were on Friday sentenced to life imprisonment and fined Rs 10 lakh each. Five others, including the approver, have been acquitted. Special judge S P Tawade passed the order.
Those convicts sentenced to life imprisonment are Prasad Jagannath Shetty (32), Chhotu alias Arvindbhai Bhiku Dayaram Thanki (46), Vithhalbhai Patel alias Chowdhary (36), Jitendra Shantilal Modha (39), Chhotu Ghisaiwaala alias Ravitsingh Bhadoriya alias Rajput (32) and Nitin Shantilal Modha (33), all residents of Gujarat.
Accused Shantilal Modha (66) of Porbandar had died during the trial. Accused Narayan Jameria (47), who turned approver, was acquitted along with four others, Jagmalsingh Choudhary of Vadodara, Rajasthan, Samantbhai Gadhvi, Ajay Fadhvi and Dinesh Tukddia, all from Gujarat. All four were drivers of the vehicles used by the accused and were acquitted due to lack of evidence.
Sagar, son of Nigdi businessman Satinder Sahani, was kidnapped on the night of August 14, 2005 from a spot near Dr Ambedkar Chowk in Pimpri. The kidnappers had demanded Rs 2-crore ransom.
After negotiating with Dubai-based gangster Ali Bhai, the family had paid Rs 15 lakh in Mumbai. But Sagar was murdered on August 25, 2005 in Gujarat a day after the money was paid and transferred to Dubai through hawala.
The Pune police had arrested 11 persons for their alleged involvement in the murder. Meanwhile, two more accused ó Shamshuddin Mohammad Kunni (36) of Kerala and Aftab Alam Mohammad Ayyub Alam (37) of Uttar Pradesh are still absconding. Another accused Sayyad Abid Hussain alias Ali Bhai (33), who is from Dubai is in Hyderabad and a separate trial is going on for him.
The prosecution had pleaded for death sentence for the accused. The judge said the case was not the rarest of the rare and hence does not qualify for capital punishment to the convicts.
- ‘Job target now hinges on manufacturing’
- Murder of Sahu siblings: Court says convict to be in jail for ‘the rest of his life’
- Inauguration drama: Amid BJP’s boos and barbs, mayor stars in second act
- Police’s grievance cell flooded with complaints from cops, 15 in past year
- NDA lodges FIR after cadet goes missing, he returns to tell cops he missed family
- Allow us to install gates at Narmada dam, you take credit: Modi to Centre