Life term for 6 in Sagar Sahani abduction and murder case
- In Arunachal, Narendra Modi warns China against âexpansionistâ plans
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- On false cases, donât discriminate between Muslims and others: Purohit writes to Shinde
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Pakistani prisoner found hanging in Jammu jail
The six accused who were convicted in the abduction and murder of 22-year-old Sagar Sahani in August 2005, were on Friday sentenced to life imprisonment and fined Rs 10 lakh each. Five others, including the approver, have been acquitted. Special judge S P Tawade passed the order.
Those convicts sentenced to life imprisonment are Prasad Jagannath Shetty (32), Chhotu alias Arvindbhai Bhiku Dayaram Thanki (46), Vithhalbhai Patel alias Chowdhary (36), Jitendra Shantilal Modha (39), Chhotu Ghisaiwaala alias Ravitsingh Bhadoriya alias Rajput (32) and Nitin Shantilal Modha (33), all residents of Gujarat.
Accused Shantilal Modha (66) of Porbandar had died during the trial. Accused Narayan Jameria (47), who turned approver, was acquitted along with four others, Jagmalsingh Choudhary of Vadodara, Rajasthan, Samantbhai Gadhvi, Ajay Fadhvi and Dinesh Tukddia, all from Gujarat. All four were drivers of the vehicles used by the accused and were acquitted due to lack of evidence.
Sagar, son of Nigdi businessman Satinder Sahani, was kidnapped on the night of August 14, 2005 from a spot near Dr Ambedkar Chowk in Pimpri. The kidnappers had demanded Rs 2-crore ransom.
After negotiating with Dubai-based gangster Ali Bhai, the family had paid Rs 15 lakh in Mumbai. But Sagar was murdered on August 25, 2005 in Gujarat a day after the money was paid and transferred to Dubai through hawala.
The Pune police had arrested 11 persons for their alleged involvement in the murder. Meanwhile, two more accused ó Shamshuddin Mohammad Kunni (36) of Kerala and Aftab Alam Mohammad Ayyub Alam (37) of Uttar Pradesh are still absconding. Another accused Sayyad Abid Hussain alias Ali Bhai (33), who is from Dubai is in Hyderabad and a separate trial is going on for him.
The prosecution had pleaded for death sentence for the accused. The judge said the case was not the rarest of the rare and hence does not qualify for capital punishment to the convicts.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Singhal: Hindus should have at least 5 children
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express