Lighter by 33 kg, health minister’s daughter stirs online world with ‘hit’ tips
- Kashmir: 3 militants dead after attack at army camp in Handwara, medicines with Pak marking recovered
- The whitewash: Probe alleges Rohith Vemula's mother faked Dalit status, blames him for his suicide
- BCCI refute allegations of non-compliance with Lodha panel in Supreme Court
- Jayalalithaa's health: Madras HC dismisses petition, says filed for publicity, political reasons
- Government study finds toxins in PET bottles of 5 soft drink brands
Having lost 33 kilograms in a year without drugs or surgery, state Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas' daughter is spearheading a campaign promoting healthy lifestyles through a video on Youtube (which has received more than 2 lakh hits) and Facebook (where she has more than 60,000 followers).
Sapna Vyas Patel, the minister's only daughter and the youngest of three siblings, said she gained a lot of weight during her teenage years "due to sedentary habits".
By 2009, she had weighed 86 kgs and sported a 36-inch waist.
Little wonder then people had already mistaken her to be much older than she was. "When I was 19, I was playing with my three-year-old niece when someone came told me — 'your daughter is very cute'," she said.
"That changed me," Sapna said at a press conference on Saturday, which was in part prompted by the massive attention her video "This Girl will Shock You!" has garnered. (She has responded to the viewer-ship through a second, shorter 'thank you' video on the site, in which she recommends, "Stay Wow!")
It was in 2009, when she was 23, that Sapna really began trying to lose weight. She followed a diet and exercise regimen she developed and which she has now shared free on social networking site Facebook.
Besides weight loss tips, Sapna's regimen includes four detailed diet plans that correspond to various stages of the weight loss process, including for toning and sculpting her body, and a detailed workout plan that requires about two hours per day.
After a year, Sapna weighed just 53 kgs and her waist size dropped to 24 inches - a new smaller body without stretch marks as evidence of the old one, she said.
She got married soon after and is currently pursuing a doctoral degree in brand management - she has an MBA degree already. She is also been certified as a "fitness professional" by a major sportswear company.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness