Lighter by 33 kg, health minister’s daughter stirs online world with ‘hit’ tips
- The shrinking of Smriti Irani
- J&K LIVE: Amarnath Yatra resumes, Rajnath Singh assures Mehbooba Mufti all help from Centre
- Under IT, ED scanner, Sanjay Bhandari stopped from boarding UK flight
- Government to IB: Carry out strict checks on collegium names
- Five of 15 Muslims missing from Kerala had converted to Islam just a year ago
Having lost 33 kilograms in a year without drugs or surgery, state Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas' daughter is spearheading a campaign promoting healthy lifestyles through a video on Youtube (which has received more than 2 lakh hits) and Facebook (where she has more than 60,000 followers).
Sapna Vyas Patel, the minister's only daughter and the youngest of three siblings, said she gained a lot of weight during her teenage years "due to sedentary habits".
By 2009, she had weighed 86 kgs and sported a 36-inch waist.
Little wonder then people had already mistaken her to be much older than she was. "When I was 19, I was playing with my three-year-old niece when someone came told me — 'your daughter is very cute'," she said.
"That changed me," Sapna said at a press conference on Saturday, which was in part prompted by the massive attention her video "This Girl will Shock You!" has garnered. (She has responded to the viewer-ship through a second, shorter 'thank you' video on the site, in which she recommends, "Stay Wow!")
It was in 2009, when she was 23, that Sapna really began trying to lose weight. She followed a diet and exercise regimen she developed and which she has now shared free on social networking site Facebook.
Besides weight loss tips, Sapna's regimen includes four detailed diet plans that correspond to various stages of the weight loss process, including for toning and sculpting her body, and a detailed workout plan that requires about two hours per day.
After a year, Sapna weighed just 53 kgs and her waist size dropped to 24 inches - a new smaller body without stretch marks as evidence of the old one, she said.
She got married soon after and is currently pursuing a doctoral degree in brand management - she has an MBA degree already. She is also been certified as a "fitness professional" by a major sportswear company.
- Economic reforms: In the next 25 years we have a good chance of wiping out poverty completely
- This new fight between good and evil is going to be long and bloody
- The origins of the Brexit vote, indeed of the need to call the Referendum, lie in the recent past of the Conservative Party
- Smriti Irani’s downfall came about largely because she had alienated most of her Cabinet colleagues
- Let’s celebrate Madras HC verdict on Perumal Murugan. But do we need the court to allow us to tell stories?
- Sabri’s killing gives a measure of how Pakistan has allowed the city to drift