Lionel Messi hits 300th Barcelona goal in comeback win
- Election Live: BJP in damage control mode, Rudy to meet Uddhav to fine tune alliance with Sena
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Lionel Messi scored his 300th Barcelona goal as the Spanish league leaders came from a goal down to beat Granada 2-1 at Nuevo Los Carmenes. Odion Ighalo had prodded the hosts into a shock first-lead with virtually their first attack of the game yesterday, but Messi's moment arrived five minutes into the second period as he pounced after Tono had failed to hold Cesc Fabregas' effort.
And soon after the Argentine had his 301st goal for the Catalans as he curled home a sumptuous free-kick to extend Barca's lead at the top to 15 points over Atletico Madrid.
Barca assistant manager Jordi Roura had taken the opportunity to rest Andres Iniesta ahead their Champions League tie with AC Milan in midweek, whilst Xavi was again missing through injury. But despite being without either of their two midfield metronomes Barca started brightly. Messi was unsurprisingly to the fore and he slipped in Alexis Sanchez after just five minutes but the Chilean's heavy touch allowed Tono in the Granada goal to collect. Thiago then headed over and Messi nearly connected with Cesc Fabregas' knockdown at the end of a wonderful move as Barce continued to dominate, but they were rocked when Granada took the lead on 26 minutes.
Carlos Aranda's excellent cross to the back post was knocked back across goal by Guilherme Siqueira and Ighalo couldn't miss when presented with an open goal five yards out.
Adriano fired just wide and Messi had a free-kick well held by Tono as the visitors instantly went in search of an equaliser, but they were forced into a change before half-time as Jordi Alba came on to replace the injured Adriano. Aranda was then handed the chance to make it 2-0 beforethe break as Thiago gifted him the ball from a Barca free-kick but he hesitated before taking on the shot and Victor Valdes made an easy save.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express