Liquor worth Rs 53,000 seized, Waghodia Cong candidate’s son booked
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- President not for executing Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, MHA disagrees
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
Son of Congress candidate Jayesh Patel from Waghodia constituency in Vadodara district was booked on Sunday after police found liquor worth Rs 53,000 in an ambulance allegedly belonging to an institute run by Patel.
Acting on a tip-off, police conducted a search operation and found an ambulance belonging to Parul Group of Patel abandoned near Jambuvadi village in Waghodia at around 3 am. On checking, police found 15 crates of Indian Made Foreign Liquor in the vehicle, said Dabhoi DSP R D Patel.
"We acted on a lead and seized the consignment of liquor which was probably to be distributed. We suspect that the ambulance of Parul Institute was carrying 17 crates but two out of them had already been distributed," he said.
According to reports, the villagers had told police that Jayesh Patel's son Devanshu was seen around the ambulance. "On the basis of this information, we have booked him under Prohibition Act and IPC Section 171 (b) (to bribe voters)," he said.
This is the fourth case involving sitting BJP MLA Madhu Srivastava since poll dates were announced in October.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held