List of 110 Punjab law officers ‘finalised’ for AG
- N-Korea says rocket launch a success, Kwangmyong 4 placed into orbit
- Kerala solar scam: Saritha Nair, the woman at the centre of the scandal
- Beef license for foreigners? Haryana govt may soon issue special permits
- As US lifts sanctions, Iran wants India to pay oil dues in euros
- Mumbai set to get India’s first international arbitration centre
A list of 110 law officers to be appointed in the office of Punjab Advocate General has reportedly been finalised by the SAD-BJP government after it had renewed the contract of the officers by two months. According to sources, 77 Akalis and 33 BJP names figure in the list. The ratio of Akali-BJP — at the AG office — is 60:40. With an aim to downsize the strength of law officers in AG office, the government is set to remove nearly 55 law officers.
As per available information, the Punjab government had initially decided to bring down the strength to 90. At present, the Punjab AG office has 163 law officers including those posted in New Delhi to represent Punjab in the Supreme Court. Sources also revealed that relatives (law officers) of former High Court Judges and those appointed by a former Advocate General will be axed. With the recent resignation of three senior members of the AG office —citing 'personal reasons' — the office has no designated senior lawyer save for the AG himself.