List of 110 Punjab law officers ‘finalised’ for AG
- Malaysian airlines might have disintegrated mid-air
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
A list of 110 law officers to be appointed in the office of Punjab Advocate General has reportedly been finalised by the SAD-BJP government after it had renewed the contract of the officers by two months. According to sources, 77 Akalis and 33 BJP names figure in the list. The ratio of Akali-BJP — at the AG office — is 60:40. With an aim to downsize the strength of law officers in AG office, the government is set to remove nearly 55 law officers.
As per available information, the Punjab government had initially decided to bring down the strength to 90. At present, the Punjab AG office has 163 law officers including those posted in New Delhi to represent Punjab in the Supreme Court. Sources also revealed that relatives (law officers) of former High Court Judges and those appointed by a former Advocate General will be axed. With the recent resignation of three senior members of the AG office —citing 'personal reasons' — the office has no designated senior lawyer save for the AG himself.
The final list of lawyers, eight of whom were endorsed by a former chief minister of Haryana, will be released soon.