Ajmal Kasab hanged and buried in Pune's Yerwada Jail
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi breaks silence, says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- JuD chief Hafiz Saeed: Hindus safe in Pakistan unlike Muslims in Gujarat
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said according to legal requirements, India informed Pakistan Government and Kasab's family about the "inevitable event" of his execution.
"We attempted to convey to Pakistan's Foreign Office that this decision has been taken and the execution will be done this morning. Since those were not accepted by Foreign Office, by fax we indicated the information to them," he said in New Delhi.
Minutes before execution, Kasab appeared to be nervous but was quiet and offered prayers, a jail official said.
"From his body language, we could make out that he was very nervous. However, he remained quiet before he was taken out from his cell for the hanging," the official added.
Kasab had also offered prayers and asked if his family was informed in advance about the hanging for which jail authorities replied in positive, the official said.
'Tell my Ammi', this was the message conveyed by Kasab when he was told about his November 21 execution, official sources said in New Delhi. He was informed on November
12 about his hanging, the sources said.
Nooree Lai, mother of Kasab, was apparently the closest person to him as he only uttered her name when asked about his last wish, the sources said.
After completion of the formalities, Home Secretary R K Singh wrote to Foreign Secretary Rajan Mathai to inform Kasab's mother and other family members who are in Pakistan.
Accordingly, the authorities, through the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, had sent a letter to his mother through courier yesterday, fulfilling his last desire, the sources said.
Kasab was also made to sign his death warrant before being moved to the Pune jail on November 19.
Official sources said a senior jail official read out the death warrant to Kasab at his cell and also informed him that his clemency petition had been rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee. After reading out his death warrant, Kasab was asked to sign it which he did, the sources said.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready