Delhi Assembly polls: Record turnout in Delhi, final figure could be over 62 per cent
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Supreme Court allows CAG to audit private telecom firms
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Duminy, Taylor push DD to 145/4
Amid brisk polling towards the later part of the day, New Delhi registered a voter turnout of over 60 per cent which is unprecedented in the history of the National Capital. The final figure could be upwards of 62 per cent, though a final confirmation is awaited.
Here are the highlights of Delhi Assembly elections 2013:
6.00 pm: With 1.2 lakh people waiting in queues, the Election Commission has extended the voting time till 7.30 pm.
3.36 pm: Voter turnout at 48 per cent till 3 pm in Delhi Assembly elections.
3.04 pm: Lal Bahadur, a driver in a Delhi school, came to vote at the New Delhi constituency on Wednesday even after suffering fracture in his legs. He said that his vote was important as the country was reeling under inflation.
N C Bambhani, 82, had tears as he said he wanted an honest govt. He is a retired officer from SAIL.
Ojasv Taneja, 21, is a student and has voted because corruption is a major issue for him and he needs a change.
Delhi resident Manga ram, 80, came to cast his vote at Malviya Nagar polling station with the help of a walker.
1.34 pm: Voter turnout at 34 per cent till 1 PM.
Banita Sethi, a first time voter, is voting as she wants safety and security scenario to improve in Delhi. She works as an interior designer.
12.05 pm: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi was among the high-profile people who queued up to vote in the Delhi Assembly election. Clad in a while kurta-pyjama and a half-jacket, he cast his ballot at booth number 88 at Aurangazeb Lane in New Delhi constituency from where Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is contesting.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18