Heavy rains lash Andhra, Odisha as Cyclone Phailin hits Gopalpur
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
Odisha and Andhra Pradesh braced for widespread devastation as a cyclone as big as India itself roared towards the coast, on course for landfall near Gopalpur in Odisha's Ganjam district.
9:20pm: Cyclone Phailin- eye of the storm will take another 1 hour to cross over.
9:15pm: Cyclone Phailin to remain severe for next 6 hours, rains to continue for next 24hrs in coastal regions.
9:10pm: Heavy rains as Cyclone Phailin makes landfall at Odisha coast.
8:40pm: Cyclone Phailin set to hit Odisha coast anytime now, heavy rains lash Srikakulam in Andhra Pradesh.
8:37pm: At least five people were killed as high wind speeds and heavy rain hit Gopalpur in Odisha's Ganjam district ahead of Cyclone Phailin's landfall.
7:45pm: Cyclone Phailin 30kms away from Odisha coast.
7:31pm: PM directs government agencies to extend all possible assistance to states concerned in ensuring safety of people as cyclone 'Phailin' approaches east coast.
6:29: Cyclone Phailin 40kms away from Gopalpur coast, landfall at 7:30pm.
6:25: At least 10 flights of Air India, Indigo and Jet Airways scheduled to arrive or take off from the airport here remained cancelled, director of Biju Patnaik International Airport Sarad Kumar said.
6:01pm: Cyclone Phailin 50kms away, IMD officials.
5:08pm: 'Very severe' cyclone Phailin 70kms away from Odisha coast, says NDMA Vice Chairman M. Shashidhar Reddy.
4:24pm: Over 4.25 lakh people in Odisha and one lakh in Andhra Pradesh have been evacuated, says Home Secretary Anil Goswami.
3.45pm: At least three persons died after uprooted trees fells on them in Odisha ahead of Cyclone Phailin's landfall at Gopalpur.
While a 35-year-old man of Garama village in Jagatsinghpur district died after a tree fell on him, a 42-year-old woman also met the same fate. A man also succumbed to injuries after a tree fell on him at Khalikote area in Ganjam district.
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today
- Class XII exams clash with polls, 4 postponed
- 11 traffic cops suspended for cop-out at key junctions