Live rocket shell found near Colony Number 5
- 'Narendra Modi's bad cop': The Amit Shah you didn’t know
- Hollande in India: Counter-terrorism, space, energy on the table
- Pathankot attack: India has given fresh evidence, we will verify it, says Nawaz Sharif
- Tamil Nadu: Three suicides over fees but no rooms, teachers in medical college
- If I see a wall, I will scale it or if needed, break it: Tassaduq Hussain Mufti
A live rocket shell was recovered from an empty ground near Colony Number 5 in Sector 50 on Sunday. It was found around 50 metres from the colony. This is the fifth incident this year in which live ammunition has been found at several places in the city and adjoining areas.
Significantly, all these recoveries continue to be mysterious with little explanation available about the sudden appearance of ammunition at various spots in and around the city every once in a while.
On receiving information, the police reached the spot and informed the Army authorities. The bomb disposal team of the Army rushed to the spot with sniffer dogs. The authorities had a hard time warding off people from the colony and surrounding areas who were thronging to the spot on hearing about the recovery of the rocket shell. Live bomb shells have been recovered from the area earlier as well.
After examining the rocket shell, the bomb disposal team took it in their custody. "Our bomb disposal team went to the spot when they received information about the live rocket shell. It was under the supervision of the Chandigarh Police that the bomb disposal team conducted the operation," said PRO (Defence) Pavitar Singh.
In the past few months, this is the sixth incident when live and dead bomb shells and rocket shells have been found in different parts of the city and its periphery. On March 25, a rocket shell was found in the garbage processing plant in Dadumajra. On February 9, a live bomb shell was found at 3 BRD. Six days before that, three live rocket shells were recovered from Khadak Mangoli area of Panchkula. The discovery had caused considerable panic in the village in Old Panchkula.
On January 2, bomb shells were found at Colony Number 5 by some children who were playing in the area. A DDR was lodged. In another case on December 16 last year, bomb shells were found in Daria in Chandigarh that were defused at Makhan Majra. A case was registered by the police.
- Activists cry for Rohith but do they ever fight for true empowerment of Dalits?
- More university campuses must put an end to the ways in which casteism operates
- How four National Voters’ Days added the equivalent of 20 Finlands to voter rolls
- Countering rising pollution, endemic, is best done via solutions ground-up
- PM has a bold vision for defence reform. Can his defence minister deliver?
- Across the aisle: 'My birth is my fatal accident'