Living in damp houses tied to asthma in kids

Asthma in childrenLiving in damp or mouldy houses is associated with asthma, allergies, hay fever and eczema in children. (Thinkstock)

Living in damp or mouldy houses is associated with asthma, allergies, hay fever and eczema in children, a new study has claimed.

The largest-ever worldwide study of the link between damp homes and respiratory and allergic conditions, involved 46,000 children in 20 countries and provided extensive evidence that living in damp or mouldy homes is tied to asthma.

Levels of house dust mites were also higher in damp homes and children were more likely to become allergic to house dust mites in damp homes, but the increased levels of house dust mites were not associated with wheezing.

Instead, it is dampness itself that appears to be the problem, said researchers from University of Otago, Wellington (UOW), who were involved in the study.

"The associations were found regardless of how affluent the countries were, and were not associated with allergy itself, suggesting that these effects are not as a result of allergy to moulds or house dust mites," UOW researcher Professor Julian Crane said.

Furthermore, if a child already has asthma it is made more severe by dampness and mould in the home, he said.

The study was published in the journal Clinical and Experimental Allergy.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.