LJP announces LS candidates for Bihar, Jharkhand
- Mathura clashes: 24 killed, more than 100 people arrested, 'katta' pistols and live cartridges seized
- Mathura clashes: Rejecting compensation, mother of killed SP says ‘bring back my son’
- Who is Mainak Sarkar, the man behind the UCLA shooting
- Nuclear group in mind, Mexico, Switzerland added to PM’s schedule
- How Eknath Khadse played Minister, hiked rates
The Lok Janshakti Party on Tuesday announced candidates for 12 Lok Sabha seats in Bihar and three out of the five parliamentary seats which the party would contest in Jharkhand in alliance with RJD.
While LJP president Ram Vilas Paswan would contest from his pocket borough of Hajipur, he has retained the other two sitting MPs - his brother Ramchandra Paswan from Samastipur (SC) and Ranjeet Ranjan, wife of RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav, from Supaul.
Mahnar MLA Rama Kishore Singh alias Rama Singh would be LJP nominee for Ara seat where he would take on JD(U)'s Meena Singh and Congress' Ajay Kumar Singh.
From Nawada, LJP has fielded Veena Singh, wife of controversial party MP from now extinct Balia constituency, Surajbhan Singh. Singh could not contest the polls as he is a convict in a murder case.
Veena Singh would be pitted against JD(U) nominee Bhola Singh and CPI-M candidate Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi.
From Nalanda, the home district of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, LJP has given ticket to former MLA Satish Kumar, who is also the party's vice-president.
Paswan announced the candidature of Bhagwan Lal Shahni from Muzaffarpur Lok Sabha seat where JD(U) denied renomination to NDA convener George Fernandes and gave ticket to Jai Narayan Nishad, who recently joined the party.
From West Champaran, the LJP has given ticket to noted film director Prakash Jha to take on Lalu's brother-in-law and Congress candidate, Sadhu Yadav.
In the two muslim-dominated districts of Araia and Katihar, Paswan fielded former MLA Jakir Anwar and a director of Katihar Medical College, Ashfaque Karim, respectively.
Besides Prakash Jha, the LJP has given ticket to another Brahmin from Purnia Lok Sabha seat and has fielded Anil Choudhary to try his luck from Begusarai seat.
Paswan also announced the names of candidates for three out of five L S seats in Jharkhand, which the party would contest in alliance with the RJD.
- Internet polls show that a strict nuclear taboo is not widespread among the Indian public
- Indian obsession with fairness is the daily evidence of a deep-seated racism
- Raghuram Rajan deserves additional time and space to see his policies bear fruit
- GSPC’s KG basin: Modi government is trying to whitewash a murky record
- The US may be in poll mode, but PM Modi’s visit is in India’s interest
- What the next Silicon Valley CEO who travels to India must read to avoid a dusty downfall