LJP announces LS candidates for Bihar, Jharkhand
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
The Lok Janshakti Party on Tuesday announced candidates for 12 Lok Sabha seats in Bihar and three out of the five parliamentary seats which the party would contest in Jharkhand in alliance with RJD.
While LJP president Ram Vilas Paswan would contest from his pocket borough of Hajipur, he has retained the other two sitting MPs - his brother Ramchandra Paswan from Samastipur (SC) and Ranjeet Ranjan, wife of RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav, from Supaul.
Mahnar MLA Rama Kishore Singh alias Rama Singh would be LJP nominee for Ara seat where he would take on JD(U)'s Meena Singh and Congress' Ajay Kumar Singh.
From Nawada, LJP has fielded Veena Singh, wife of controversial party MP from now extinct Balia constituency, Surajbhan Singh. Singh could not contest the polls as he is a convict in a murder case.
Veena Singh would be pitted against JD(U) nominee Bhola Singh and CPI-M candidate Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi.
From Nalanda, the home district of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, LJP has given ticket to former MLA Satish Kumar, who is also the party's vice-president.
Paswan announced the candidature of Bhagwan Lal Shahni from Muzaffarpur Lok Sabha seat where JD(U) denied renomination to NDA convener George Fernandes and gave ticket to Jai Narayan Nishad, who recently joined the party.
From West Champaran, the LJP has given ticket to noted film director Prakash Jha to take on Lalu's brother-in-law and Congress candidate, Sadhu Yadav.
In the two muslim-dominated districts of Araia and Katihar, Paswan fielded former MLA Jakir Anwar and a director of Katihar Medical College, Ashfaque Karim, respectively.
Besides Prakash Jha, the LJP has given ticket to another Brahmin from Purnia Lok Sabha seat and has fielded Anil Choudhary to try his luck from Begusarai seat.
Paswan also announced the names of candidates for three out of five L S seats in Jharkhand, which the party would contest in alliance with the RJD.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it