Lobby did wrestling in
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7: It's that man Glenn Maxwell again
The aristocracy of Olympics resting in Europe's ivory towers descended the stairs to save the ancient preserve of the Games — Modern Pentathlon on Tuesday at Lausanne. With a list of sports dangling in the danger zone for the 2020 Olympics programme — including taekwondo, canoeing and hockey — wrestling faced a shock eviction, even as pentathlon, the pre-IOC meeting favourite to be dumped, survived relegation.
Associated Press reported that Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., son of the former IOC president and a vice president of pentathlon's governing body, the UIPM, delivered a late pitch for his sport, pleading pentathlon's tradition as a sport invented for the Olympics by Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern games. Designed to bring together fencing, swimming, horse riding, running and shooting, a competitive simulation celebrating the late 19th century essence of a cavalry officer, pentathlon harped on the sepia-tint and sentimentality of the sport in Olympics history as clincher.
However, while the elite Europe lobby appealed to emotion and the founding father's legacy despite negative reviews for the sport in areas of global popularity and TV interest, it was also pentathlon's readiness in battling this very unflattering perception and preparedness to fight for its existence at the meeting, that is said to have helped it in battling elimination.
The hammering of criticisms since London, where it was dubbed outdated and niche, had ensured that UIPM President Klaus Schormann went to the meeting armed with his defence, and prepped to lobby hard, even as wrestling bumbled from the shocking bolt. While pentathlon scrunched up its yawning five-day programme into a single day's work and replaced air pistols with laser guns, tagging shooting-running together, taekwondo presented its modernity by roping in electronic scoring.
While it will be difficult to nudge pentathlon from its indulged perch — given that Europe's Olympic bluebloods will protect their bastion — wrestling which needs to wake up from its slumber and general astonishment, will have to look at a bold repackaging or makeover to save its quadrennial existence.
- MU issues showcause notice to S K Somaiya College
- Denied nod to sit with her special child in classroom, mother moves MSCPCR
- Judgment day today for couple caught on wrong side of new rape law
- Man accused of murder dies in custody, kin allege torture
- 2 BJP workers injured in firing
- 322 polling stations in Mumbai, suburbs ‘critical’