Local MLAs should decide on pending irrigation works: CM
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Many projects are launched keeping in mind demands and sentiments of the local people. Delay in release of funds causes uncertainty and this should not happen, he said
Elected representatives should take an initiative and decide on prioritising pending irrigation projects in their respective areas, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has said.
"It is the prerogative of elected representatives or local MLAs to sit across the table and decide on completing pending irrigation project. If they are unable to do so, the Chief Minister can intervene," Chavan said.
Many projects are launched keeping in mind demands and sentiments of the local people. Delay in release of funds causes uncertainty and this should not happen, he said. Whenever central fund comes, whether for Vidarbha, Marathwda or Western Maharashtra, one has to take a quick decision on disbursal, he added.
Funds estimated to be around Rs 2,400 crore may soon be released for Vidarbha, Chavan said.
Talking about Gosikhurd irrigation project in Bhandara district of Vidarbha, Chavan said the government has released Rs 1,300 crore as part of rehabilitation package.
On the issue of controversy over increase in irrigation potential by a mere 0.1 per cent over the last 10 years, as reflected in the Economic Survey report of 2009-10, Chavan said the figure may not be correct. The state was seeking help of the Centre for deputing experts to come to a definite conclusion about the increase in irrigation potential in the state, he said.
- Cong appoints Harshad scam accused as chief of Mumbai Gujarati cell
- Militants kill PDP sarpanch in Valley
- VVIP chopper scam: CBI chief meets envoy in Italy
- In final run, Mavericks first hurdle for Spurs
- Injuries to Neymar, Alba add to Barcelona’s woes
- Rani Jhansi flyover: HC notices to civic body, Railways