London medallists conferred doctorate by a Uttar Pradesh University
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
India's six London Olympics medallists were today conferred Honorary Doctorate Degree by Mangalayatan University at its Annual Convocation Ceremony here today.
Badminton ace Saina Nahwal, boxer Mary Kom, shooters Gagan Narang and Vijay Kumar, wrestlers Sushil Kumar and Jogeswar Dutt were honoured with Honoris Causa degrees by Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav at the university's fourth Annual Convocations.
An elated Saina said that it "was a matter of great pride" for her to be honoured with the doctorate degree.
"My parents had wished that I could take up the medical profession but destiny had planned another career for me. But today I am proud that I was being conferred the doctorate,"she said.
Yadav called upon the sportspersons to play a proactive role in the task of nation building by entering "public life".
"Sportspersons create their own charisma and this factor can help them in achieving success in different walks of public life including electoral politics," he said.
He said that his party was "ready" to provide a platform to all sports persons like Saina for "entering the public domain".
Recalling his early years as a budding wrestler, Yadav said that he understood the importance of "sportsman spirit" and convinced him of the importance of the sporting activities in the field of character and personality building.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed