London medallists conferred doctorate by a Uttar Pradesh University
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
India's six London Olympics medallists were today conferred Honorary Doctorate Degree by Mangalayatan University at its Annual Convocation Ceremony here today.
Badminton ace Saina Nahwal, boxer Mary Kom, shooters Gagan Narang and Vijay Kumar, wrestlers Sushil Kumar and Jogeswar Dutt were honoured with Honoris Causa degrees by Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav at the university's fourth Annual Convocations.
An elated Saina said that it "was a matter of great pride" for her to be honoured with the doctorate degree.
"My parents had wished that I could take up the medical profession but destiny had planned another career for me. But today I am proud that I was being conferred the doctorate,"she said.
Yadav called upon the sportspersons to play a proactive role in the task of nation building by entering "public life".
"Sportspersons create their own charisma and this factor can help them in achieving success in different walks of public life including electoral politics," he said.
He said that his party was "ready" to provide a platform to all sports persons like Saina for "entering the public domain".
Recalling his early years as a budding wrestler, Yadav said that he understood the importance of "sportsman spirit" and convinced him of the importance of the sporting activities in the field of character and personality building.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress