Lone Hindu arrested accused in NIA custody
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: SRH struggle in stiff chase against KXIP
Over a year after nine Muslim youth were granted bail in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, a special holiday court remanded Sunday Manohar Kumar (27) in NIA custody till January 8.
NIA told special Judge G A Sanap Manohar was a bomb-planter. He is the first Hindu accused arrested for the blasts, which, state police alleged, were handiwork of the banned SIMI.
The Muslim youth were granted bail last year after the disclosure by Swami Aseemanand, accused of the Malegaon 2008 blasts. NIA, which claims to have started a re-investigation in 2011, is, however, yet to give a clean chit to them.
Manohar, detained on Friday at Hathod near Indore in Madhya Pradesh, was brought to Mumbai on a transit remand Sunday morning.
"Preliminary investigation and a confession obtained from another accused of the 2007 Samjhauta blast show Manohar was present at the blast site. The agency has evidence to establish his role in conspiracy and transport of explosives," said NIA counsel Rohini Salian.
The serial blasts in Malegaon on September 8, 2006, killed more than 30 and injured 200.
NIA sources said Samjhauta blast accused Rajendra Chaudhary, who has allegedly led the agency to two others, will be produced before a special MCOCA court on January 3.
Chaudhary is allegedly the main conspirator who planned and executed the 2006 blasts.
In the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, NIA has arrested 14 persons. The agency is checking if the 2008 and 2006 blasts are linked.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready