Lone SP MLA joins TMC, merges party
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Chand Mohammad, the lone legislator of Samajwadi Party, a constituent of West Bengal's Opposition Left Front, Friday joined TMC after merging the state unit with the ruling party.
"Chand Mohammad who belongs to the original SP unit in the state, joined Trinamool Congress along with his followers and merged the party with TMC," ruling party's general secretary Mukul Roy told a press conference here.
He said Mohammad's joining would be helpful in strengthening the party in Congress bastion Murshidabad.
A a two-time SP MLA from Bhagabangola constituency in Murshidabad district, Chand Mohammad had created a flutter Wednesday by attending the special session on Platinum Jubilee celebrations of the state Assembly, which was collectively boycotted by LF constituents. He had earlier signed a memorandum that he will not attend the House session.
A stunned Leader of Opposition Surya Kanta Mishra had reacted saying the left would "think twice" before letting Mohammad "sign memoranda" in future, while Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had praised him for attending the session.
Chand Mohammad joined the TMC a day after several leaders of Forward Bloc joined the ruling party in Jalpaiguri district, a stronghold of the Left Front constituent.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express