Look into long gap between voting, counting day: Advani to EC
- Elections 2014 LIVE: In Rae Bareli, Priyanka Gandhi says her husband Robert Vadra is being maligned
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- Hate speeches: Modi says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
Expressing concern over the long gap between the days of voting and counting — November 4 and December 20 — in Himachal Pradesh, veteran BJP leader L K Advani Monday urged the Election Commission to look into the matter.
"In Gujarat, electors and candidates won't have to wait for too long a period as the results would be out after two days. But my concern is for the voters and candidates in Himachal Pradesh," Advani, the MP from Gandhinagar, said after casting his vote in Ahmedabad. "They have been waiting for a long period. I don't think that electoral results in one state would affect voting patterns or result in another state. This is one area I urge the Election Commission should look into."
He added, "I had a discussion with the prime minister regarding holding Lok Sabha and Assembly elections simultaneously in all states. What is happening in the last few years is that every year, some state goes to polls. But this is not what the founding fathers of the Constitution had envisaged as they wanted elections to be held every five years."
Advani said he was confident that the BJP would come to power with a clear majority in Himachal.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready