Look Ma, No Formula
- AAP-BJP clashes: FIR against Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi for rioting
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
- Congress bends, âopen to TRS allianceâ
- Mamata Banerjee releases candidates list for LS polls, lists out celebs and statistics
There was an adventurousness in Hindi cinema in 2012, and they were a part of it. Actors Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Huma Qureishi and Sidharth Malhotra, directors Gauri Shinde and Sujoy Ghosh, and writer Juhi Chaturvedi look forward to the new in the new year
He was matchless in Gangs of Wasseypur I & II, and striking in some of the best films of the year—Kahaani, Talaash, Paan Singh Tomar and Chittagong. This was, quite simply, the year of Nawazuddin Siddiqui
What is your most definitive memory of 2012?
It was a conversation with Anurag Kashyap, when he offered me Gangs of Wasseypur. He said, "Jaise tu chahta hai waisa role hai yeh. (It's the role you want)." I had a feeling that this would be a turning point. If GoW hadn't worked, I would still be considered a supporting actor. People don't take you seriously if you are only a supporting actor. That one poster of Faisal in GoW showed the industry ki yeh hero banne ke layak hai. I got 175 film offers as a hero after the film.
A compliment that thrilled you last year...
Shyam Benegal told me "the camera loves you."
The most important thing you learnt..
Woh jo performance ki bhook hoti hai jab cheezen nahin milti… uss bhook ko hamesha zinda rakhna chahiye. (The hunger you have when things aren't working for you, you've got to keep that hunger alive.) You know why newcomers are so deadly? Because they have passion, they have hunger. When you find success, you tend to become complacent, ek corruption aa jaata hai. I felt the fire was dulling in me and that I was getting into a comfort zone, so I quickly pulled up my socks. Sure, there are a few superstars who don't do anything and still people like them—gande se ganda kaam karte hain par unki picture Rs 100 crore kama leti hai (they do terrible films which earn Rs 100 crore)—but I don't wish to lead my career like that.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students