Looking at 2014: Cups and Sorcerers
- EC bans Amit shah, Azam Khan from holding public rallies after hate speech
- Congress complains to EC on Narendra Modi's marital status issue, seeks action for 'hiding facts'
- Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
- PMO attacks Sanjaya Baru on his book
- April 11 Campaign roundup: Why should I condemn it, asks Deve Gowda on Mulayam Singh's 'rape' remark
After the lull of 2013, where the biggest news in sports emerged from off-the-field controversies, athletes will be bounding out of the gates in 2014 with a string of high-profile tournaments on the calendar, including the biggest of them all — the FIFA World Cup. The Sunday Express looks ahead to a year that will see many more Cup contests and other big-ticket events featuring entertainers with magical skills.
Football World Cup
June 12-July 13, Brazil
Sleep will be classified a precious commodity in June and July 2014 because of a television burning bright in the stillness of the night. You probably know why but just in case your resolve threatens to waver, here are some reasons to stiffen it up.
The 2014 FIFA World Cup can't come soon enough for most — especially for Brazilians. There have been mass protests against the (over)use of taxpayer money. For some though, the pain of 1950 — when they lost the final at the Maracana to Uruguay — is still raw, gnawing away.
The Arena de Sao Paulo in Sao Paolo will be 'the' place to be on June 12, 2014. The party kicks off and the home side will not just be under pressure to win against Croatia but play their opponents off the pitch and win 'the Brazilian way'. Expect fireworks, if not on then definitely off the pitch.
Spain v Netherlands, Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador, June 13. Enough said. The 2010 World Cup final part deux. It is hoped the match is played in better spirit — hoped. There is one certainty though. Now that Nigel de Jong is no longer in the Dutch squad, Xabi Alonso will have a smile plastered to his face instead of a boot slamming into his sternum. Yup, happiness.
There's only one way to go. Bolt out quick, stay ahead and keep your eyes open for kung fu kicks.
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul