Loose cannons of 2013: Public figures who courted controversies with their quotes
- In Karnataka, Modi hits back at Rahul over balloon jibe on Gujarat model, asks if he trusts Sonia
- 'Deeply saddened' over his expulsion, Jaswant Singh says BJP has lost its vision
- Sabir Ali steps up attack on Naqvi, says the BJP leader should prove allegations or apologise
- Five pending cases against Congress' Imran Masood
- ICC World Twenty20: Yuvraj Singh, Ashwin make it 4/4
One of the senior most officials of the Akhilesh Yadav government landed into a controversy after he suggested that nobody dies of cold. He was defending the UP government over the rising death toll of children in the Muzaffarnagar relief camps. As the year draws to a close, we present some lofty and rather bizarre quotes made by our public figures.
AK Gupta, Bureaucrat, Uttar Pradesh
"Nobody dies of the cold; if people did, then nobody would survive in Siberia."
"These days, I am afraid of talking to women. In fact, I don't even want to keep a woman secretary, God forbid, if there's a complaint against me and I end up in jail."
Ranjit Sinha, CBI director
"If you cannot enforce the ban on betting, it is like saying, If you can't prevent rape, you enjoy it"
Rahul Gandhi, Congress vice-president
"The escape velocity of Earth is 11.2 km/sec while that of Jupiter is 60 km/sec. In India we have the concept of caste. There is an escape velocity here also. For a Dalit to achieve success the escape velocity required is that of Jupiter. More effort is needed."