Lower juvenile age limit to 16 years, death penalty for accused in heinous crimes: Yadav
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi to file nomination papers from Amethi today
Yadav supported the idea of the society boycotting a sexual offender
Joining in the debate to lower juvenile age limit, Haryana Power and Forest Minister Ajay Singh Yadav on Saturday said the upper age limit for juvenile offenders should be reduced from 18 to 16 years to effectively deal with growing cases of sexual assaults against women.
Speaking to reporters at a function here, Yadav said in cases of heinous crimes such as the recent case of gangrape in Delhi, the accused should be hanged
and in other such cases, there should be at least life imprisonment.
"A debate is on how to tackle sexual assaults against women in an effective manner. The Union home minister too had a meeting with chief secretaries and director generals of police the other day in this regard. The punishment in such cases should be stringent. In cases of heinous crimes, as was the recent case of gangrape in Delhi in which the victim died, the accused should be hanged till death. In other such cases, there should be at least life imprisonment. Such cases should also be tried in fast track courts," Yadav said.
When asked whether he supports the idea that a sexual offender should be boycotted by the society, Yadav said: "Certainly, as it would convey a good message to the society."
Certain representatives of Khaps in Haryana had recently decided to socially boycott a person held guilty of committing a crime against woman.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit