LS polls: Godmanís wife BSP candidate
- Raja 'misled' Manmohan Singh on policy matters: CBI to court
- RSS raises Ambedkar vs Mother Teresa row
- From Maldives, road to Islamic State goes via drugs, gangs and jail
- In a first, Indian military contingent to march at Moscow’s Red Square
- Maharashtra by-poll: Shiv Sena set to retain Bandra (E), NCP wins Tasgaon
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has decided to field Priyanka Pandey, wife of godman Chinmayanand Bapu, in Mirzapur constituency, for the Lok Sabha elections.
The candidature of Priyanka was announced by former minister and BSP national general secretary Naseemuddin Siddiqui at a party convention in Mirzapur on Sunday. Both Priyanka and her husband Chinmayanand Bapu were present.
Chinmayanand addressed the gathering, starting with "Jai Siyaram" and "Jai Bheem". His supporters greeted him by blowing conch shells. In his address, Chinmayanand stated that though he had seen several political parties from very close, the BSP had given him the maximum respect. He thanked the party for fielding his wife and urged the gathering to support her.